Address: Located at the intersection of Prim and Martín López streets
The San Fernando square, also known as the “plaza de Arriba” (literally “the square up there”), is at the heart of Carmona´s daily life, a role it has played since ancient times.
The “plaza de arriba” is located approximately where the intersection of the Cardo Maximus and the Decumano was, and where the Roman Forum was located.
The buildings around the square, of different styles and dating to different periods, used to give the square a rectangular shape. It was only after 1924, when the square was restored, that its shape was modified, acquiring the circular appearance that it has nowadays.
The houses which have façades giving onto the square often have a third floor with many balconies overlooking the plaza. These two characteristics, so alien to the traditional domestic architecture of Carmona, can be explained by the use of this square as a stage for public performances, among which were bull fights.
Points of interest
The forged iron lamppost in the middle of the square, came from the Ibero-American Exposition, held in Seville in 1929.
On the northwest corner the Casa de la Antigua Audiencia, stands out, built in 1588, and which later housed the city council and is now used as municipal offices. The façade is of great simplicity, a characteristic of Mannerism, with a linted doorway between ionic pilasters, on whose lintel there is a stone with a text alluding to its construction. At the top there is a balcony with five brick arcades resting on white marble columns, and above this, the whitewashed lookout point of the Madre de Dios convent, with another five windows behind whose latticework the nuns could see out without being seen.
At the entrance of the building there is a commemorative tile dedicated to the visit here by Miguel de Cervantes. In 1590, Cervantes, as commissioner of the Spanish Armada, came to the town and to the old Casa de la Villa in particular.
On the eastern flank of the square, on the corner of Prim street, there is a prominent 16th century building, known as the “Mudejar House”, decorated with Cuenca tiles on the upper floors, twin semi-circular windows and other Renaissance architectural elements. On the top floor, the viewpoint follows the line of the one in the nearby Madre de Dios convent.
The town hall is located on another of the corners of the square, in a building dating to the 17th century.