Address: Plaza del Marqués de las Torres
Phone: 954 19 14 82
By far the most important example of religious architecture in Carmona, it was built on the site of what had been the largest mosque here, of which the ablutions courtyard is still preserved.
The real importance of this architectural complex lies in the Christian priory itself, conceived according to the formal and construction designs of the Gothic Cathedral of Seville.
it is designed in a “hall church” design, with three naves and chapels of more or less equal length located between lateral buttresses. The construction was carried out in two phases during the 15th and 16th centuries.
In the first phase the sections from the entrance to the choir were built, with a pronounced Gothic air and aesthetic; in the second phase Diego de Riaño played a very important role, leaving a clearly Renaissance aesthetic to the sections which reach the apse of the church.
The Puerta del Sol door and the Sacramental Chapel both date from the Baroque period. At the end of the 19th century, a series of reforms were carried out which gave the priory church its actual appearance.
Work on the tower began in the 16th century and was completed in the 19th century. The capital and the clock were donated by local noblewoman Carlota Quintanilla.
Points of interest
The Visigoth liturgical calendar engraved on one of the columns in the courtyard.
The main altarpiece, crafted in 1563 by Juan Bautista Vázquez, has reliefs alluding to the life of Jesus, interspersed with Marian scenes.
The main sacristy is not only interesting for its architecture, but also for the artistic treasure it contains.
The Gothic carving of the Virgen de Gracia, patron saint of the town.
Among the pieces of silverwork, the processional monstrance, made by Francisco Alfaro between 1579 and 1584, particularly stands out.
In the antechamber to the sacristy there is an image of the Immaculate Conception carved by Pedro Duque Cornejo in 1724.
The star-shaped vault of the dome, located in the fourth section of the central nave and also the Chapel of the Christ of the Martyrs, designed in the Flemish style.
Since 1997 the Priory has housed a permanent exhibition room with articles made of gold, silver and precious metals, various ornaments, and paintings by Zurbarán y Bocanegra.