The church was built in the late 15th century on the site of the old Virgen de la Antigua hermitage, with a basilica-shaped floor plan characteristic of the Sevillian Mudejar period. The central nave, which is very spacious, is flanked by two side aisles separated by pointed arches and a dome-covered transept. In the 18th century, at the height of Baroque influence, it acquired its present appearance.
In 1783, Andrés Acevedo Fariñas took over the finishing of the tower; taking advantage of the base dating to the 17th century and a bell tower from the 18th century, he added the three bodies which crown it, turning it into the Giraldilla because of its close similarity to the Giralda in Seville.
In 1984 it suffered an unfortunate fire, in which its Baroque pictorial decoration and the main altarpiece were lost.
Points of interest
The beautiful dome of the Baroque Sacramental Chapel is particularly noteworthy.
Saint Juan Grande and Saint Rosa of Lima´s mother were baptized in the impressive baptismal font, green glazed with motifs representing vegetation, and dating to the year 1500.
In the 19th century the chapel dedicated to the then “Blessed” Juan Grande, – he was canonized and made a saint on 2nd June 1996 – was added.
The altar of the transept, in the Gospel nave, is presided over by an interesting image of Saint Joseph, and is attributed to the artist Montes de Oca.
There are numerous pieces made of precious metals and ornaments of great artistic value, among which the Processional Monstrance stands out, a work of art produced by the local silversmiths from Carmona, Antonio and Francisco de Luna, and dating to the first half of the 18th century.
The Ancient, Royal and Illustrious Brotherhood of the Blessed Souls and Brotherhood of Nazarenes of Our Father Jesus of Humility and Patience, and Mary Most Holy of Sorrows”, more popularly known as the ‘Brotherhood of Humility and Patience”. Founded in 1604.
Nuestro Padre Jesús de la Humildad y Paciencia/Our Father Jesus of Humility and Patience.
1740 18th Century, attributed to Montes de Oca.
María Santísima de los Dolores / Mary Most Holy of Sorrows.
1730 18th Century, attributed to Montes de Oca.
Its procession takes place on Good Friday, at night.
The end of the procession, when the procession returns to its home church, is well worth seeing as the floats are carried along through the streets near the old defensive walls of Carmona.
The figure of the “Santo Cristo de Ánimas”, sculpted by Martín de Andújar, belongs to the brotherhood, although it does not play any part in the actual procession.
The penitents of this brotherhood wear white robes and hoods, with purple esparto cinctures or belts, and with the brotherhood´s shield emblazed on their chest. 30 costaleros carry the float with the figure of Christ and 35 the float carrying the figure of the Virgin.