Address: C/ San Felipe, s/n
It was built during the 14th century and underwent major modifications between the 15th and 16th centuries. Its layout is typical of the Gothic-Mudejar churches of our region, with a basilica-shaped design divided into three naves crowned by their respective apses.
The chancel area of the central nave dates to the Gothic period, around 1300, with a scalloped apse. The rest of the building corresponds to the second construction period that started in the middle of the 15th century.
Points of interest
The coffered ceiling of the three naves is decorated with paintings, the central one being the most beautiful, covered with figures of ribbons, pontifical coats of arms and heraldic elements.
The main doorway dates from the 15th century and has three archivolts, various mouldings and a cornice composed of cantilevers on the alfiz that frames it.
The tower-façade with its Renaissance bell tower has an inscription indicating its date of completion, 1562.
The “Brotherhood of the Holy Christ of Saint Philip, the Brotherhood of Nazarenes of the Lord of Grief and Sorrow and Our Lady of Great Sorrow”, more popularly known as the “Brotherhood of Sorrow” and which was established in 1897.
Señor de la Amargura/Sorrow.
1521, by Jorge Fernández Alemán, in the Gothic style.
Virgen del Mayor Dolor.
1762, by Benito Hita del Castillo.
The brotherhood holds its procession on Easter Monday.
The most noteworthy part of the procession´s route is when the brotherhood leaves and arrives back at the church, largely because of the immense difficulty caused by going through the double ogival arch of the Mudejar tower-façade of the church. Also worth mentioning is when the procession passes the Hermanas de la Cruz convent, as well as the climb up Joaquin Costa Street, on the way to the distant Real neighbourhood. The impressive “Señor de la Amargura” figure is considered to be the oldest of all the figures -whose authorship and year of production are properly documented – carried in procession during Andalusian Holy Week.
The “Santísima Virgen del Mayor Dolor” figure was originally a bust to which a fuller size body was later added by a Carmelite monk.
The penitents of this brotherhood wear white robes, black pointed hoods and esparto belt. There are 36 costaleros who carry the float with the figure of Christ, while the float with the Virgin is carried by 30 costaleros.