Address: C/ Prim, nº 29
Phone: 954 14 11 75
This church is designed according to the usual formula of the local Mudejar style; three naves separated from each other by pillars, an apse and a transept. The apse of the central nave is covered with a starred ribbed vault very typical of Gothic art, dating the construction of the church to somewhere near the end of the 15th century.
The Gospel nave is connected to the outside through a lintelled door, whereas the Epistle nave is connected via a Gothic-style door to the large courtyard that acts as a side entrance to the church.
The main altarpiece, dating to the first third of the 18th century, consists of the lower part or basement of the altarpiece, underneath the main body which is divided into three aisles and an attic.
At the end of the 18th century, during the Baroque period, the church was transformed; the false vaults were removed during alterations carried out in 1975, and the upper body of the tower-façade was added, located at the foot of the church, with a rectangular floor plan where there is a linteled doorway between pilasters.
The tower consists of a pedestal framed by Baroque volutes, and rounded off by a balustrade terrace on which the belfry stands; it is finished off with highly decorated gables and a spire.
Points of interest
There is an important collection of paintings displayed on the walls of the church and the sacristy. Among them, the one representing St. Catherine of Alexandria, located in the presbytery, particularly stands out.
The chapel of Jesus the Nazarene has three altarpieces. In the main one there is a figure of Jesus carrying the cross, the principal figure of the Brotherhood of Penance, sculpted by Francisco de Ocampo dating to 1607.
The “Primitive Brotherhood of the Nazarenes of Carmona, the Royal and Pontifical Brotherhood of Our Father Jesus the Nazarene, Holy Cross in Jerusalem, Mary Most Holy of Sorrows and Divine Shepherdess of Souls”.
More popularly known as the “Our Father Jesus of Nazareth brotherhood”, it was founded in 1597.
Nuestro Padre Jesús Nazareno.
1607, Francisco de Ocampo. Sevillian school.
María Santísima de los Dolores
1696, José Duque Cornejo.
Its procession takes place on Good Friday, in the evening.
This penitential procession is famed for its silence, encouraging spiritual contemplation and prayer, with just an oboe playing to accompany the float containing the figure of Christ. At the head of the procession, there is a solemn penitent sounding a bell to announce the arrival of the procession.
Close by the Conceptional/ Franciscan insignia, a penitent holds a sword, symbol of the blood oath made in defense of the Christian dogma by the brotherhood in 1615.
The penitents wear black robes with a purple hood, wide esparto cincture/belt and black shoes. The float of the figure of Jesus of Nazareth is carried by 30 costaleros and the float carrying the figure of the Virgin by 24.
The “Royal Brotherhood of the Holy Burial of Christ Our Lord, Mary Most Holy of Solitude, and Saint Ana” more popularly known as the “Brotherhood of the Holy Burial” was established in 1971.
Santísimo Cristo del Santo Entierro.
Image carved by Francisco Buiza in 1975.
María Santísima de la Soledad.
Image carved by Francisco Buiza in 1972.
The starting point for this procession, which takes place on the evening of Holy Saturday, is the Salvador church, because of the large size of its float, on which two images are carried.
It is interesting to see the procession as it goes along Juan de Ortega Street after having been to the Santa Maria priory, as well as when it goes under the Gate of Seville fortress. Its entry into the church of Santa Ana is also noteworthy, as it is effectively the last step taken by a procession during Holy Week in Carmona.
The float is accompanied by a local brass band, which performs traditional processional music.
The penitents wear a black tunic and black pointed hoods and a wide esparto cincture or belt.
This single float is carried by 35 costaleros.