C/ Madre de Dios
It seems that the foundation of the Dominican community here occurred at the beginning of the 16th century.
In 1520 the building began to take shape, located in the old medieval quarter of the town. Actual construction took many years and did not reach its culmination until the 17th century with the completion of the early-Baroque main chapel, crowned with a simple spherical dome and four oculi decorated with religious motifs.
Points of interest
The most interesting part of the convent is the church, where the two dominant aesthetic tendencies with greatest influence in the region – the Mudejar and Baroque – blend in perfect harmony.
The church is composed of a narrow nave with a clay floor covered by a wooden coffered ceiling. At the foot of the nave, there is a modest low and high choir, separeted by a grille and a latticework respectively.
The main altarpiece is the work of Jacinto Pimentel and dates to 1632.
The church is decorated with paintings, all of them framed in Baroque plasterwork.